Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links. For full information, please see our disclaimer here.
If you’re anything like me, you find lots of inspiration from the Camino de Santiago in Spain. In fact, the Camino has given me so much to think about, I’m constantly taking note of quotes that help me to express what I learned through undertaking the profound journey.
Whether you’ve just started planning your Camino, are in the midst of packing, or are on the plane right now, here are some of my favorite Camino de Santiago quotes and verses to think about while you are walking the Way!
If you like any of the images below, feel free to Pin them on Pinterest!
Table of contents
Camino de Santiago Quotes
Growing in popularity in recent years, I knew the Camino de Santiago was calling me from the first time I heard about it. While many people consider a vacation sipping some sort of adult beverage on a beach, walking 500 miles across Spain sounded like the perfect vacation to me! And it truly was. Keep reading this section below where I share some of the best quotes about the Camino, specifically.
1. “Those who come to the Camino with a heavy heart leave with a lighter load.” Jane V. Blanchard
2. “As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears.” — Rumi
3. “To feel the pull, the draw, the interior attraction, and to want to follow it, even if it has no name still, that is the “pilgrim spirit. The ‘why’ only becomes clear as time passes, only long after the walking is over.” ― Kevin A. Codd, Beyond Even the Stars: A Compostela Pilgrim in France
4. “Ultreia e suseta.” — Pilgrim cry meaning, “onwards and upwards!” (See more Camino symbols and sayings.)
5. “Life always teaches us more than the road to Santiago does […] but we don’t have much faith in what life teaches us.” — Paulo Coelho
6. “The Camino taught me to keep going, to keep moving forward when life gets hard — even if it’s one step at a time.” — Tristina Oppliger
7. “We all have a bag. We all pack differently. Some of us are traveling light. Some of use are secret hoarders who’ve never parted with a memory our whole lives. I think we are called to figure our how to carry our bag to the best of our ability. How to unpack it, and how to face the mess. Part of growing up is learning how to sit down on the floor with all your things and figuring out what to take with you and what to leave behind.” -Hannah Brencher
Quotes about Walking
It goes without saying that pilgrims love to walk. Indeed, one of the great joys of the Camino de Santiago is the walk. Day after day, step after step, things just have a way of working themselves out. Listed below are a few of my favorite quotes about walking as they relate to the Camino.
8. “We are all just walking each other home.” — Ram Dass
9. “When my thoughts and emotions are all jumbled up, a walk never fails to unknot the tangled threads.” — Katherine Ketcham
10. Somewhere between the start of the trail and the end is the mystery why we choose to walk. — Author Unknown
11. “As I walk, the universe is walking with me. In beauty, it walks before me. In beauty, it walks behind me. In beauty, it walks above me. In beauty, it walks below me. Beauty is on every side. As I walk, I walk with beauty.” — Navajo prayer
12. “Walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” — Audrey Hepburn
13. “May your best miles be those covered by foot.” — Author Unknown
14. Walk with the wise, and become wise. Proverbs 13:20
15. “It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching.” — St. Francis of Assisi.
Editor’s Note: If you’re heading to the Way of St. James, don’t forget to purchase travel insurance. When I first hit the trail, I was shocked at how many people were injured! As I’ve kept up with the pilgrim community over the last five years, I’ve heard so many stories of injury, infections, and heat exhaustion that cuts pilgrims’ trips short. Whether it’s an unforeseen injury, a cancelled flight, or theft, I highly recommend you check out World Nomads. It’s perfect for adventure travel!
Quotes on Pilgrimage
The Camino de Santiago is known all over the world. As an ancient pilgrimage trail, it still retains much of its original spirit. The stillness, the camaraderie, the pilgrims’ mass, the scenery, and the food — no wonder close to 350,000 people visited the trail in 2019 (Levels are rising again now that the Camino is re-opening post-COVID 19.). If you’re looking for quotes about the Camino pilgrimage to inspire your walk, look no further.
16. “Pilgrimage invites us to notice what we are holding too tightly to, so we might release ourselves into the current of life.” — Christine Valters Paintner.
17. Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage. Ps 84:5 (NIV)
18. “When you walk with purpose, you collide with destiny.” — Beatrice Berry
19. “My home is in Heaven. I’m just traveling through this world.” — Billy Graham
20. “Be humble on the mountain top. Be strong in the valley. Be steady in between.” — Author Unknown
21. “Travel far enough, you might meet yourself.” — David Mitchell
22. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. Prov 3:6 (NKJV)
23. “When in doubt, just take the next small step” ― Paulo Coelho, The Pilgrimage
24. “When you follow the crowd you lose yourself, but when you follow your soul, you lose the crowd.” — Author Unknown
25. “God speaks in the silence of the heart.” — Mother Teresa
26. “Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comforts of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things. Air, sleep, dream, the sea, the sky — all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” — Cesare Pavese
The Camino de Santiago is certainly a journey: it will take you to the highest of highs, the lowest of lows, and everything in between. Centered around “the spirit of the Camino”, you’ll find that each moment on the Camino is pure joy, not to mention a privilege. In this section, I walk you through different quotes all about journeying, whether it be through the Way or life.
27. “I don’t know where I’m going, but I am on my way.” — Voltaire
29. “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” — Confucius
30. “I will choose to find joy in the journey that God has set before me.” — Author
31. “The real voyage of discovery consists not of seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” — Marcel Proust
32. “It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.” — Tom Hanks in A League of their Own
33. “Learn to trust the journey even if you do not understand it. Sometimes what you never wanted or expected turns out to be what you need.” — Author Unknown
34. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” — Freya Stark
Quotes about new experiences
At Love at First Adventure, we believe in experiences over things. That said, one of the greatest experiences of my life has been my trip on the Camino. I hope you, too, get to experience the spirit of the Camino and the way it always seems to provide exactly what you need! Until then, look at these quotes all about experiencing life and all the little things.
35. “Live for the moments you can’t put into words.” — Author Unknown
36. “I was never going to go if I waited for someone to come with me.” — Author Unknown
37. “Every moment you live in the past is a moment you waste in the present.” — Anthony Robbins
38. “No, we don’t need more sleep. It’s our souls that are tired, not our bodies. We need nature. […] We need adventure. We need freedom. We need truth. We need stillness. We don’t need more sleep, we need to wake up and live.” ~Brooke Hampton
39. “Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” — Anita Desai
40. “And suddenly, you know it’s time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings.” — Meister Eckhaty
41. “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Headed to the Camino and not sure what to pack? Check out our Camino de Santiago packing guide, and download a PDF packing list for free!
The Camino de Santiago is a collection of hiking trails. Known for its rolling hills, scenic views, vineyards, and other surprises the trails are a nature lover’s dream. (Of course there is some road walking, but on the whole, you can really get out into secluded nature on any of the trails.) If you’re looking for quotes of the healing power of nature, here are a few of my favorite picks.
42. “Take only memories, leave only footprints.” — Chief Seattle
43. “The earth has music for those who listen.” — William Shakespeare
44. “Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don’t look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by.” — Kerouac
45. “Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters.” — St. Bernard of Clairvaux
46. “Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” — Albert Einstein
47. “Everything in nature invites us constantly to be what we are.” — Gretel Ehrlich
48. “In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks.” — John Muir
My Top 5 Camino de Santiago Essentials
And there you have it: a collection of inspirational quotes about the Camino de Santiago.
I hope these instantly made you fall even more enamored with the Camino (also known as the Way of St. James.) If you’re looking for more Camino inspiration, check out our favorite Camino de Santiago books and novels.
More travel quotes
Did you love these Camino quotes? See our lists of other travel quotes: